Have this idea ever comes into your mind to install kali Linux on an android phone? Maybe! But you think it is impossible to install kali Linux on your android device, or sometimes you didn’t find a good and working tutorial to install kali Linux on an android device. Kali Linux is the most loved operating system of white hat hackers, security researchers, and pen testers worldwide. This article will let you know how you can install Kali Linux on an android phone step by step.
Kali Linux is one of the most advanced penetration testing Linux distribution for checking system vulnerabilities. Kali Linux offers advanced penetration testing tools, and it is the toolbox part of most security researchers. It is a Debian –derived Linux distribution specially designed for digital forensics and penetration testing. Kali Linux comes preloaded with hundreds of penetrating tools like Nmap, Armitage, aircrack ng, burp suite, and many other hacking and penetration testing tools. Kali Linux is mostly used by security researchers and hackers around the world. For most people, Kali Linux is familiar with pc, but you want some hacking tools on your mobile as a hacker. This article provides different methods to install kali Linux on your android phone with root permissions and non-rooted users.
Prerequisites to install kali Linux on android phone (rooted devices)
- Make sure you are running on android 2.1 or higher versions, and your device must be rooted.
- Make sure your battery is charged enough, as it is a long process.
- You need at least 5gb or more free space on your android device.
- A fast internet connection as you have to download different files to install kali Linux on your android phone.
- Patience, as it needs a lot of time to install kali Linux on your device.
- Some applications to be downloaded to install kali Linux on your android phone busy box, terminal emulator, juicessh, vnc viewer, Linux deploy, and kali Linux image of approx 2gb.
Step by step guide to install kali Linux on your android device:
Install kali Linux on rooted android devices
- After downloading the Kali Linux image, extract it in your computer using any of your compression tools like 7zip or Winrar. After extracting the file, you will get two files named kali_linux. Img and kali_linux.Img.Md5 copy and paste the kali_linux. Img file in your android device storage.
- Create an empty folder in your android storage path. You can name it anything you want to put the img file in this directory and must remember the storage path where it is located as you need it later.
- Enable USB debugging from developer options.
- Launch busy box and make sure to give root permissions to apps downloaded while installing Kali Linux on your device. After providing the root permissions, the busybox will start reading files. Just click on install, and it will replace the symlink with busybox.
- After installing busybox, launch Linux deploy from the app drawer and grant it root permissions; click on the Properties button. The next screen comes with different options regarding installing kali Linux on your android phone like distribution, architecture, distribution suite, and installation path.
- Choose the distribution as kali Linux and the architecture as armhf as most of the android devices come with it.
- Choose the image path where you put kali_linux.Img file on your android device.
- There are different types of installation to choose from directory, file, and partition. I would recommend you to select the installation type as a file.
- Choose distribution suite as kali–rolling.
- Go back and wait till you get the message deployed.
- Launch vnc viewer and enter the details required.
- Now click on start to boot kali Linux.
Install kali Linux on android phone (non-rooted devices):
As you all know, using and installing tools in a rooted phone is much more comfortable, but all users don’t have their phone rooted. Here I will share a method by which you can install Kali Linux on an android phone without having root permissions. All you have to do is follow the given procedure for Installing kali Linux on any android phone:
- First of all, download gnu root from google play store. The gnu root app’s main feature is that it creates a fake root directory on your android phone, which fools the Linux files believe that it is running on a rooted android device.
- After installing gnu root, it will give you the option to install a lot of Linux distro roots like wheezy, Gentoo, and more. You have to choose one of them and click on “create new rootfs” and wait until the process is completed.
- After the downloading is complete, you have to select the distro in the second drop-down list & tick the option “launch as fake root.”
- Hit the launch “launch rootfs” button. It will launch all the Linux files running on a fake Linux platform.
- Now, you successfully installed Kali Linux on an android phone without having root permissions.
Kali Linux is one of the best-operating systems to work with if you are a hacker or a cracker. Using the above-given methods, you can install Kali Linux on an android smartphone and use the complete pentesting test and other Linux tools. Kali Linux has the superpower to turn android phone into a portable network troubleshooting.