You are planning to play your favourite steam game with your homies, Updating your steam, and all of a sudden you see a popup saying “Steam Content File Locked.” We know how hurting and annoying it is not to be able to update your favourite steam game and getting stuck without playing your favourite game. You ain’t need to be panic here we will be mentioning some of the best fixes to overcome this annoying steam content file locked error.
Steam is a distribution platform mainly developed for video game distribution back in 2003 by Valve Corporation that offers multiplayer gaming, video streaming, social networking services, and Digital Rights Management (DRM) to its users. steam lets you install games on the PC and also update them automatically. Some of the unique steam features are cloud saving, in-game voice, chatting options, friend lists, and groups. Afterwards, it also expanded to host the third-party publisher games as well.
What does it mean Content File locked on steam
This means that Steam can’t write update files to the hard disk. There may be many solutions to this error. The most effective one is to uninstall Steam and all the local game content and reinstall it from scratch. Although this worked for many users, it is a pretty time-consuming task and it also consumes a large amount of data. Before resorting to hard measures as mentioned above, we will try troubleshooting for small problems that may be involved.
Method to fix this Content File Locked error on Steam
Check in Antivirus
Anti-virus helps us to get rid of all the malicious attacks and remove the virus from our computers. But sometimes anti-virus causes some obstacles in the proper functioning of the computer. Therefore, we need to disable it sometime. Sometimes disabling antivirus works like a charm for fixing Content file locked steam error. You can follow the below steps for disabling antivirus on your system:
- Look for the antivirus icon on the notification area.
- Right-click on it and disable it from the notification area.
- Some of the antiviruses cant be disabled using this notification area method, for that you have to launch them and check their settings.
After disabling your antivirus, you can check if the content file locked error gone or not.
Winsock is a programming interface mainly developed for handling the input-output requests for Web applications. Sometimes it is due to the Winsock catalogue that steam is showing content file locked error. We need to run a command to roll it back to default settings. You can follow the below steps to reset Winsock and fix content file locked error on steam.
- Press Windows Key+R.Simultaneously. This will open the run dialog box.
- In the control box type “netsh winsock reset”.
- Press enter.
- Command will be executed now and the issue will get resolved.
Repair Corrupted Files
If the above methods don’t work for you try repairing corrupted files for fixing content file locked steam error. Just follow the below steps:
- Exit steam and navigate to your Steam directory (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam). You might have chosen a custom location for steam installation, navigate to that directory.
- Open the folder named Logs and then click on txt.
- Now, keep moving to the bottom of the text file and look for the errors that are logging your device.
- Then, search for the folder named as root.
- Restart the Steam app and then go to the download folder.
Now, Steam will ask to update the game. Update the necessary files and you’ll be good to go.
Opt-out From Beta
It is another good method to fix content file locked error on steam. just follow the below steps:
- Launch Steam On Your Computer.
- Click on ‘’Library’’ from options running horizontally across the top of the client.
- Right-click on the game that is causing content file locked error from the left-hand list and select ‘’Properties’’.
- Navigate towards the ‘’Betas’’ tag.
- Click on the drop-down menu below ‘’Select the beta you would like to opt into’’ and select ‘’NONE – Opt out of all beta programs’’.
- Now update the game. hopefully, it will solve the content file locked error.
Run Steam As an administrator
Sometimes, Windows prevent Steam from updating a game in the directory. To overcome this, we need to run steam with administrator privileges.
- First thing is to shut down Steam from ‘’Task Manager’’.
- Look for the Steam Client Bootstrapper process, click on it and hit ‘’End Task’’.
- The next step to do is right-click on the Steam icon in desktop/Taskbar.
- Now, Select ‘’Run As Administrator’’.
- Now, Steam will launch you have to download and install the update.
Check For disk scan
It is possible that some parts of the hard disk where the game installation is taking place is corrupted or faulty. If that is the case, the hard drive can’t be accessed. Therefore, a disk check can be run on your system to find out any bad sectors in your disk.
Follow these steps to run a disk check:
- Press the Windows + R key together to open the Run Dialog Box.
- Type cmd in the dialog box and hit enter.
- In the cmd window, type chkdsk c: /f and press enter to start the disk check.
- Press the Y key to confirm the process.
The disk check might take a few minutes. Wait for a while till it gets done and checks if there are any issues.