While we look for the official information about SuperFetch, it tells: maintains and improves system performance over time. But not everyone agrees with it, that’s why some want to disable SuperFetch permanently. These windows feature launched back before, during windows vista time; the main motive of SuperFetch is to decrease boot time and load application faster than before.
One of the applications of SuperFetch is to get a place in the background and analyze how the system is using ram, its usage patterns, which software you run often. After analyzing all these things, SuperFetch creates a list of most used applications and makes the applications launch with blazing fast speed. For instance, if you are using Mozilla Firefox at night, then SuperFetch will analyze it. Now, whenever you use Mozilla again, it will be launched in a more fast manner as it is already preloaded in the memory.
What is SuperFetch
SuperFetch is a window feature for a long time. It is since there from the time of windows vista. One of the main tasks of SuperFetch is to caches different windows applications data so that it loads faster than before. It only ensures that the data and applications you often use loads from the faster speed ram instead of slow loading hard drive. But there are problems also with SuperFetch for which User wants to disable Superfetch in their Computer System, and they keep searching questions like How to turn off Superfetch & should I disable superfetch Over the Internet. So, in this article, I’m trying to remove that confusion. So, that you can decide is Superfetch needed for you, or you should be disabling superfetch.
There are many reasons users permanently disable Superfetch in their computer some time, it doesn’t work well with every windows application out there, and another is high disk usage. Most of the time, there is no need to use this feature & disabling superfetch is a better option. So not every time it is an excellent choice to enable superfetch on windows. Sometimes you need to disable SuperFetch for getting an outstanding performance.
Also Check: Reddit Soccer Streams Alternative
Methods to disable SuperFetch in windows
So, you decided to turn Superfetch off. Well, no problem here I am telling you different methods by using which you can easily disable and turn off SuperFetch on your system. Make sure if you didn’t find any benefit in disabling it, then I recommend you turn it on again.
Disable SuperFetch using Services.
- For turning off Superfetch on your system, the first thing you have to do is click the window key and R Simultaneously. it will open the run dialog box.
- Now, type services.msc in the dialog box and hit enter.
- Services window will display on the screen, double click on SuperFetch from the list of options.
- The startup type drop-down menu will appear over the display screen.
- Now select disabled from the drop-down menu, then click on the stop button.
- The last step is to click, ok.
Finally, you permanently disabled superfetch on your windows.
Disabling Superfetch Using Registry Editor
- well, if the first method doesn’t work for you. You can use this registry method for disabling SuperFetch on your windows system. For this, you have to edit the registry key in your computer system. Before using this method, make sure to backup your current registry to restore if something went wrong.
- The first thing is to open the run dialog box, you have to hold the windows key and press r, and the dialog box will open.
- Now type Regedit and press Enter.
- A new Window of the Registry Editor will appear on the screen.
- Navigate through the following location in your systems Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Session Manager>MemoryManagement>PrefetchParameters
- You have to find the EnableSuperFetch Option on the list on the right side of the display screen.
- Now You can put any numeric value according to your requirement.
- If you want to disable SuperFetch, just put the value as 0 permanently.
- If you want to enable prefetching during program launching, put the value as 1.
- For enabling boot, PreFetch put the value as 2.
- For enabling PreFetch of everything, put the value as 3.
- If you are not able to find EnableSuperFetch, look for the PreFetch Parameters, and do a right-click and choose New>DWORD Value.
Name it EnableSuperFetch and do the Above Mentioned Steps.
Turning Off Superfech Using Command Prompt
- Launch Command Prompt as an Admin.
- In the Command Prompt Window Put the code as
sc stop “SysMain” & sc config “SysMain” start=disabled
- For enabling SuperFetch back put the below code in Command Prompt sc config “SysMain” start=auto & sc start “SysMain”.
If there is a need to stop superfetch, or is superfetch Needed?
The answer to the question may be yes or no, varying from User to User depending on their preferences. While using the new generation’s computers, you will not feel any glitch while superfetch is running on windows. In fact, at the moment superfetch starts running in the background, you even don’t get to know that superfetch is running on your windows. superfetch has two primary goals for which it works: to decrease the boot time as low as possible, and another is to reduce the loading time of applications in the computer system so that you will get the smoothest experience as possible.
How enabling superfetch helps you in decreasing boot time:
You must be thinking that how superfetch can decrease the boot time. So, you must have to understand the concept of boot loading. Whenever we switch on the computer, many different files need to be load at other instances; the task superfetch here does record the timing at which the system is loading additional files and stores all this information in a trace file. It also communicates with the defragmenter to make sure that the files needed at the time of boot must be stored in a sequence. This process is done every three days, and it will get stored in /Windows/Prefetch/layout.ini & now, after analyzing, it will load files faster than before.
How superfetch makes applications to load faster
It is another task of superfetch to load applications on your computer much faster than before. Based on how the User is using applications, the timing of using specific applications records each and everything about the ram usage and saves it for future use.
Why you should permanently turn off Superfetch:
Well, everything has different benefits and some demerits too. So, here I am mentioning some of the problems with superfetch so that you should turn off superfetch in your windows system.
- The main job of SuperFetch is to keep an eye on different running tasks so that it can analyze all the running errands in the background, but you must have to know that SuperFetch is also running in the background and consuming a part of the systems ram.
- Always keep in mind, SuperFetch relocates the loading time, your system will still take the same time to launch an application as it takes without SuperFetch.
- SuperFetch may lead to your system’s inappropriate working as it is preloading a large amount of data from your local memory disk to ram.
- Sometimes, users reported that SuperFetch is causing their disk usage to stay 100% in the task manager.
There is no need to use SuperFetch if you are using SSD on your computer system as it is already way faster then anything.
- If You are playing massive games on your pc, it may again and again load and unload data, which causes the system’s low performance.
Enable Or Disable SuperFetch?
You get to know what SuperFetch is, so now it’s up to you to enable or turn Superfetch off.